Post image for Best Biscuits Ever

Best Biscuits Ever

February 26, 2008 Print This Post Print This Post

Yes, I said it… best biscuits ever. Not only were the really easy to make, they were incredibly delicious. I’ve been on a quest to find the biscuit recipe for over a year now, and I’m pleased to say I’ve finally found it! They were nice and fluffy on the inside and they were rich and creamy. So delicious that they didn’t even need butter. *Gasp* I know… biscuits without butter? Its probably a crime. But these were so rich and creamy they really didn’t need it!

Try these. If you don’t like them… well there must be something wrong with you! Just kidding! But really, we were that pleased with them!

Cream Biscuits

2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream

Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk dry ingredients together in medium bowl. Stir in the cream with a wooden spoon until the dough forms, about 30 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gather into a ball. Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Pat the dough into a 3/4-inch thick circle. Cut the biscuits into rounds using a 2 or 2-1/2″ biscuit cutter. Place the biscuits on the parchment-lined baking sheet. The baking sheet can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 hours. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Yields: 1 dozen 2″ biscuits

Source: Adapted from the America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, 2006.

katie102006 February 26, 2008 at 8:06 am

Haha. I think it is biscuit week on the web! But hey, you can’t go wrong with a biscuit. These look sooo yummy!

Michelle February 26, 2008 at 8:54 am

These look absolutely wonderful!

bab736 February 26, 2008 at 10:24 am

I was just thinking about biscuits on the way to work today… you read my mind!

Deborah February 26, 2008 at 2:52 pm

What an interesting biscuit recipe – I have to try this!

ash February 26, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Katie – i totally just saw all the Tuesdays with Dorie posts pop up everywhere with the Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits! haha. great timing! :-)

Thanks Chelley!

Brett – you must make these! Really, they’re so good. You’d love ‘em! If you try them with half & half… let me know how the taste!

Deborah – I had the same thought… it didn’t have many ingredients, and there was no butter! The heavy cream made them perfectly rich and creamy though! You couldn’t tell they were butterless!

sweetnsavory February 26, 2008 at 4:05 pm

these look awesome. i wonder if i could sub buttermilk for the heavy cream? i’ve never made my own biscuits before…and it’s about time i tried. :-)

Jaime February 26, 2008 at 11:37 pm

funny you should post this on the same day the the TWD group is posting about biscuits! these look SO good, i might have to give them a try! (shhh…they look better than the dorie biscuits)

ash February 27, 2008 at 8:36 pm

sweetnsavory – you could certainly try it but i do think the cream is what makes these so heavenly. they have such a rich creamy flavor because of the cream! if you do try buttermilk, let us know how it turns out!

Brett March 2, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Darn, mine didn’t turn out anything like yours! The dough was a lot more batter-like than dough and I couldn’t even handle it without it clinging to my hands, much less shape it into a ball or knead it. I ended up adding almost a half cup of flour in addition to flouring the counter surface and it was still super sticky, but at least it would take a cookie cutter then. The first set I baked hardly rose at all and the second set were a little better, but not by much. I don’t know what I did wrong! :(

ash March 2, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Brett – The dough was a little sticky but not that sticky! As for the rising issue, you probably need to test your baking powder. Sounds like it might be old! These biscuits actually don’t rise a whole lot but they should some. I’m sorry they didn’t turn out!

Brett March 2, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Hmmm, I’ll definitely look into getting new baking powder at least. Will came home and tried one from the second batch and really liked them… maybe it’s just me. They look so good that I’m definitely willing to try them again!

sweetnsavory March 3, 2008 at 11:40 am

I had a similar issue as Brett, but I think it’s because I ended up trying to use buttermilk instead of cream. With buttermilk you have to use baking soda, so not only was I not really able to handle the dough – it was waaaay sticky – but I went ahead and baked them to see what would happen. LOL, it was a sight for sure.

ash March 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm

wow, maybe i need to try a second test run this week and see how sticky it was. I don’t remember it being that sticky at all! Hmmmmm……

Not Stupid July 14, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Gotta try ‘em

Brett September 14, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I think I want to give these another shot. Craving carbs lately! Do you use all of the cream or just stir in until the dough is the right consistency? Going to buy brand new baking powder too.

mims2455 November 6, 2010 at 9:15 am

I’m a beginner and these were my first attempt at biscuits. They turned out very well. I used the ingredients as prescribed and only mixed in the cream to blend (learned that overworking dough will result in tough biscuits). I kneaded for 10x and then patted out. Didn’t like the way the dough stuck to the board, but I was afraid to overflour.

My next attempt used 1/2C shortening and milk, not cream. These came out more like drop biscuits even though they were cut.

Sharon June 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm

These were the best biscuits ever!!!! Mixed up like nothing, came out perfect. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

Kim June 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm

The first batch of these tasted great, but we’re too wet and doughey in the middle. I added a little extra baking powder and a little less cream, and they were perfect! My husband and son beg for them now! Best ever!