Post image for My new fave Chocolate Chip Cookies

My new fave Chocolate Chip Cookies

October 28, 2008 Print This Post Print This Post

Chocolate Chip Cookies. Everyone always has that constant battle to find THE chocolate chip cookie recipe, and when you do finally find it… you never let it go. I’ve tried and enjoyed many a chocolate chip cookie but I think these might very well be my favorite.

I stumbled across this recipe on Erin Cooks at the beginning of the month and was immediately drawn to it. First of all, I lovee cinnamon. I have almost always added cinnamon to my chocolate chip cookies. I love it! So when I saw that Erin had taken the liberty of rolling these in cinnamon sugar… I knew I had to try them. And boy am I glad that I did. I love these. I’ll be honest and say that hubby wasn’t quite as fond. Now that didn’t stop him from eating them, but he’s not as big on cinnamon as I am so he prefers the variety without. He also prefers a chewier cookie than this produces. But I found myself a winner! Oh and another cookbook to add to the Christmas list :-)

I’ll be back soon with a post about the competing chewy cookie recipe I tried out that hubby is calling his favorite to date. It apparently creates the best cookie dough ever (My grandmother trained me not to eat dough and I can’t bring myself to do it!) so you’ll have to take hubby’s word on that one. :-)

Chocolate Chip Amish Puff Cookies

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c softened unsalted butter
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/4 c white sugar
1 large egg
1 c chocolate chips
1/4 c sugar
4 tsp ground cinnamon

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt into a bowl and set aside.

In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture, and mix on low speed just until combined. Cover dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Combine cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line several cookies sheets with parchment paper. Roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar and place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown. Cool cookie sheets on wire racks.

Source: Adapted from A Field Guide to Cookies by Anita Chu as seen on Erin Cooks

lrb October 28, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Yum… I am totally trying these out! I’m obsessed with everything Amish and have about 5 Amish cookbooks, but this isn’t one I’ve seen before. I can’t seem to stop baking with this pregnancy, so looks like these are next on the list! :)

danamccauley October 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Cream of tartar? I wonder why? I think I’d like this cookie very much but without the cinnamon.

ash October 28, 2008 at 4:03 pm

the cream of tartar makes for a lighter more cakey cookie. its great!

the original recipe in book actually didn’t call for the rolling in the cinnamon sugar, its something Erin tried that appealed to me. So definitely try them without rolling in the cinnamon sugar if you’re not a big cinnamon fan!

aleta October 28, 2008 at 4:58 pm

You don’t eat cookie dough?! That woman must have put the fear of GOD in you. Because I just plain can’t resist.

Hopie October 28, 2008 at 5:08 pm

YUMMM Sounds good!! I’m with E on this one though, not sure I’d like the cinnamon and I definitely like mine chewy!! This might have to be the first thing I whip up in my KA Stand Mixer when we finally get moved it! =) JUST FOR U!

Erin October 28, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Thanks for linking to my blog post! And yes, Ash is correct. There are two Amish Puff cookie recipes in Anita’s book. One that is almost identical to snickerdoodle and rolled in cinnamon and sugar, and one that includes chocolate chips but isn’t rolled in cinnamon. I took the liberty of doing my own thing though and I actually really loved the way the cookies came out.

I can’t believe you don’t eat cookie dough?! Never ever?! I make cookie dough sometimes with the express purpose of eating it :)

Anh October 28, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Wow! Your words and photos urge me to try this recipe!1 :)

Michelle October 28, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Ohmigod, two of my favorite flavors together…chocolate and cinnamon! I NEED to try these! Thank you for sharing. :)

Michelle

Holly October 29, 2008 at 6:05 am

My grandmother taught me the exact same thing (as far as eating raw doughs and batters). I just can’t do it. I’ve even convinced myself that I don’t like cookie dough! My boyfriend thinks I’m nuts!

ash October 29, 2008 at 8:37 am

Holly – I’m glad I’m not the only one! Everyone always seems to think I’m a freak of nature. I just can’t do it though :-)

Ashley October 30, 2008 at 5:38 am

These really are the best chocolate chip cookies EVER!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer October 30, 2008 at 8:51 am

Yum these look great and the touch of cinnamon and tarter make these different than any that I have ever made in the past – I will give these a try!! Thanks for sharing

BitterSweet October 30, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Cute little cookies- The way they look sort of reminds me of those Famous Amos cookies, but I’m sure they taste much better!

jane November 11, 2008 at 9:22 pm

we made these tonight and they were DELISH. :) and I loved the cinnamon with the chocolate. thank you for sharing! (I am a little obsessed with making chocolate chip cookies…)

ash November 11, 2008 at 10:28 pm

jane – glad you liked them!

pnogal32 April 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm

I made these at home! They were pretty good, depending on the batch. I myself also prefer a chewier cookie, which is why I think I’ll consider adding a little milk the second time around, but I found that my best batches came after 10 minutes in the cooker. Thanks for the awesome recipe!!!

pnogal32 May 18, 2009 at 7:26 pm

You know what? Never mind. Third time around making these cookies, they taste better than ever! Perfect. Just perfect.

jaime January 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm

They taste awesome. Mine spread however?? Any ideas on why??

ashley January 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Typically if cookies spread its due to one or more of the following: (1)Not chilling the dough long enough or (2) butter that is too soft. Could also be a problem if you tried subbing margarine or used a warm cookie sheet. Most often its usually that the butter has been softened too much or has been melted rather than softened. Your finger should be able to press gently on the butter and leave an imprint and your butter is ready to be creamed.

You can also chill the dough longer or even shape the cookies and chill on the cookie sheet. You can also line your cookie sheets with parchment paper which will help spreading.

Hope some of those solutions help!