Post image for White Bean Chicken Chili

White Bean Chicken Chili

October 12, 2009 Print This Post Print This Post

We got a cold front (aka its in the 70s and not the 90s), which means its time to start fixing soup!! I knew it was time to whip up some White Chicken Chili! I developed this recipe over a year ago and it very quickly became a family favorite. Its probably my favorite soup that I make, followed *very* closely by Pasta Fagioli. I love the mild spice of this chili and the creaminess it has from the little bit of half-and-half. Seriously tasty!

White Chicken Chili

I hope you enjoy this one as much as our families do! Its the perfect dish for fall! What are your favorite soup recipes?? I’m always on the look-out for new soup ideas since its such a cost effective way to feed a crowd!

White Bean Chicken Chili

1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground chicken breast*
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 (4oz.) cans Hatch green chile peppers, diced (or 5-6 fresh mild peppers)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2  (14.5 oz) cans great Northern beans, undrained
1/2 cup half & half or heavy cream

In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the ground chicken, stirring often and reducing the heat to medium when thoroughly browned. Drain excess grease if there is any, leaving approximately 1 Tbsp of grease (or add olive oil if none).  Add the onions and garlic and saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the chicken broth, green chile peppers, cumin, white pepper and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the beans & half-and-half. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.

*Shortcut Method: Alternatively, you can use 2 cups of prepared diced/shredded chicken. Begin directions by sauteing onions & garlic, then add shredded chicken and continue as instructed.

KATIE October 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Oh yum!! What a perfect meal on a cold day like today – and I LOOOOVE the picture. it’s sharp, delicious, and gives a great warm feeling. :)

Cate October 14, 2009 at 6:12 am

Great photo and great recipe! White bean chili is one of my favorite fall dinners!

Jenn/CinnamonQuill October 14, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I definitely want to make a variation of this…maybe even tonight!

Cailyn October 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm

So this question isn’t about the chili, sorry :) I saw that ya’ll were having Green Chile Smoothered Chicken and that sounds really yummy, I love the enchiladas with green chiles, can I have this recipe?

ashley October 20, 2009 at 10:25 am

Cailyn – I’m still working on getting the recipe right. The first time I made it, I just seasoned the chicken breasts with taco seasoning. Topped with whole fresh roasted green chiles. Baked them, covered, at 400 for 30 minutes. Add a Tablespoon or two of cheese and put them back in the oven until the Cheese melted. They were okay. I’m working on a better spice blend than the Taco seasoning… But you could give that method a try!

Danielle October 22, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I have been looking for a new chili recipe and this just might be the one!
Thanks!!

mary beth November 16, 2009 at 8:08 pm

This was delicious! I have a white chili recipe that I’ve made for years and I like this even better. I made mine with diced chicken. You can’t go wrong with half and half as an ingredient, I guess!

ashley November 16, 2009 at 8:36 pm

mary beth, i’m so glad you like this! its definitely one of our favorites!

Morgan February 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious! I have a feeling that I will be making this often.

ashley February 4, 2010 at 10:25 pm

morgan – I’m glad you enjoyed it!