Post image for Chunky Classic Chicken Salad

Chunky Classic Chicken Salad

April 6, 2010 Print This Post Print This Post

Spring is upon us. We’re hitting temps in the 80′s already. Sigh. I have a feeling that we’re in for a short Spring this year and a long hot summer. I’m not ready. I hate Texas summers. I dread it every year! But for now, I will try to enjoy what remains of decent weather for the year. One of my favorite parts of spring is all the fresh foods. Lots of salad and grilled food. Lots of dinners on the deck. I love that about Spring. Chicken salad always makes me think of spring. So fresh, especially with the bit of lemon juice. Its delish.

I used to make my chicken salad with all mayo but for starters, that’s fattening. Second, it creates a heavier taste to me. I stated playing with the ratio of yogurt to mayo and decided that half and half works best. You could easily change the ratio however you’d like adding more mayo or yogurt as desired. I’ve tried using all yogurt and wasn’t a fan because well it tasted like yogurt & chicken. :-) Half and half is balanced just right to keep it from tasting overly like mayonnaise and overly like yogurt. I love it. Fresh and light. Enjoy!

Chunky (Lightened Up) Classic Chicken Salad

3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch dice
3 Tbsp mayo
3 Tbsp greek yogurt
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 – 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt & black pepper to taste

Combine diced chicken, mayo, greek yogury, celery, lemon juice & onion powder in a bowl. Mix well to coat chicken evenly. Season to taste with salt & freshly ground black pepper. Chill until served.

Jessica @ How Sweet April 6, 2010 at 9:05 am

Looks delish! I love adding greek yogurt to my salads because I am not a mayo fan.

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) April 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Mmm, this looks great!! I love a good chicken salad! I like to put grapes in mine (sometimes even pineapple- yeah, it’s weird, but good!) :-)

Sara Lamb April 7, 2010 at 10:49 am

Yum! My mother has wanted to make chicken salad with Greek yogurt for weeks now, and I seriously doubted her! When I saw this, I figured I’d try it. It was good to hear it from a real person ;-) I made it last night – half Greek Yogurt and half mayo (the kind made with olive oil).

I was skeptical at first … I tasted the yogurt on its own. It was WEIRD smelling yogurt, and then tasting something sour (?). However … in the chicken salad … it was awesome!!

Thanks for the great reference!

ashley April 7, 2010 at 10:56 am

Sara – Glad you liked it! I was skeptical at first too. Especially since I used *all* yogurt the first time, and like i said… it tastes like yogurt & chicken when you do that! not too tasty in my book. :-)

Yum Yucky April 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Mmm! I love chicken salad! but I’ve never made my own. thanks for the greedy recipe!

OrGreenic August 14, 2012 at 11:13 am

I never thought to use yogurt in a chicken salad but I can see how it would make it have a lighter taste. Thanks for the tip and yummy recipe.