Post image for Freezer Pizza

Freezer Pizza

April 13, 2010 Print This Post Print This Post

Work. Its that pesky thing I do from 8am-5pm every day. It pays the bills. Unfortunately, I don’t like my day job and some days it really gets to me. I get home tired and a bit depressed (I’m working on getting out of the position but God is trying to teach me patience :-) ). Some days, getting in the kitchen and cooking and creating something from scratch is exactly what I need. Other days, I need to put on PJs, bum out in front of the TV with junk food. Now I wouldn’t call these freezer pizza junk food exactly but it satisfies the craving without eating anything too bad for me or my waistline.

We love pizza though. I especially love how easy they are to freeze. You are almost always guaranteed to find some sort of homemade pizza in our freezer. Some of our faves are bagel bite and english muffin pizzas. But you can also freeze Pita Bread to use as pizza crusts as well! It wasn’t until Shawnda posted about freezing homemade crust that I started making my own crust and freezing it. Why did this not occur to me before??? Homemade crust makes way better weeknight pizza than bagel bites or english muffins! Thanks Shawnda! :-)

The thing I love most about making Frozen Pizza is that they are so easy to whip up over the weekend. I start with at least a double batch of dough so I can knock out several meals all at once. You can top them with all the toppings of your choosing so all you have to do is take it from freezer to oven, or you can leave these crusts untopped and top them off when you’re ready to eat. Your call. Personally, I think they taste a little better if you top them off just before baking with fresh ingredients but they’re not bad at all totally assembled and tossed in the oven! Give this one a try!

Frozen Pizza

Pizza Dough (highly recommend making at least a double batch of dough)
Toppings (if desired)

Make your dough according to recipe instructions through the point where you need to shape the dough. Set oven rack in middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 500°F. Sprinkle baking sheet(s) lightly with cornmeal.

Divide dough into desired number of crusts. (For the recipe above I usually make 2 crusts from 1 batch of dough). Stretch each dough round into a 7-8 inch round and place on the prepared baking pans. Bake the crusts for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Repeat for as many crusts as you need to prepare.

To freeze: Place the cooled crusts on a baking sheet that fits in the freezer. If you want to freeze your pizza assembled, top with toppings of choice. Put baking sheet(s) in the freezer. Once frozen through, store the pizzas in freezer bags (since frozen individually, you can store however many you can fit in a bag; they won’t stick).

To reheat: Set oven rack to top third of oven. Preheat to 425°F. Place the frozen pizza on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until toppings are bubbly and crust is golden brown.

Source: Adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride

Jessica @ How Sweet April 13, 2010 at 5:46 am

I don’t like my day job either and often come home feeling the same way. I’m sure this is a delicious pick-me-up!

Angie April 13, 2010 at 7:55 am

Awesome, I was planning on making up an extra batch of dough this weekend to have on hand, but I think I’ll take it a step further and freeze already assembled pizzas. This is also PERFECT for my husband for those days that I’m in meetings through dinner, etc.

Jess April 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

WOW. Those look incredible!! Do you have a preferred cheese that you use? Sauce that works best?

ashley April 13, 2010 at 8:39 am

Fresh mozzarella is absolutely the best. Its super cheesy and delicious. Its by far our preference. Sometimes I just slice the fresh mozzarella and other times I shred/grate it. If we’re trying not to be too indulgent we use Kraft 2%. Its not nearly as flavorful as the fresh but it has less fat so our waistlines appreciate it on occassion. I’ve found that the low-fat store brands that I’ve tried don’t melt to my liking.

As for the sauce, I use whatever I have on hand :-) I unfortunately don’t have a go to pizza sauce recipe to share. I’ll start working on that though! :-)

Maria April 13, 2010 at 8:41 am

Homemade pizza is the best. This one looks very tasty and I love how easy it is!

Stephanie April 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

What a great idea! I haven’t thought to pre-make and freeze my pizza crusts. This would make for some easy weeknight dinners. I know how you feel about your job…I was in the same boat until I left my job in Dec. Now I’m looking for a job I can love and be passionate about. Hope you are able to do the same very soon!

Melissa April 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Wow, what a great idea! I love your blog and I’m actually making this dough right now! I saw it on your website this morning and it’s currently rising!
Thanks!

Cindy April 14, 2010 at 12:27 am

This is such a good idea! I always make things in big batches and freeze them for later, it never occured to me to make my own frozen pizzas! Thanks! Great post!

Fenke April 14, 2010 at 1:13 am

i often just freeze some extra dough, but that has to thaw for several hours. pre-baking the crust and then freezing it is so much better! i think i also would go for the blank option that has to be topped just before baking. that way i can really choose the ingredients i crave most that day :-)

snookydoodle April 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm

yummy I m a pizza addict :)

kathyphantastic April 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Freezing pizza dough is brilliant! I can’t wait to make margherita pizza. I’ll probably try to make a full-on frozen margherita and see how that works out. I, like you, love fresh mozzarella, too. So, I think the frozen crust will work out better in that case. Thanks for the great idea.