Summer time is upon us! Well technically summer doesn’t begin until June 21st this year, but clearly that’s for places other than Texas as we’ve already regularly had 90-degree weather for weeks now. Memorial day weekend always kicks off summer in my mind! When Foodbuzz put out the call for submission’s for this month’s 24×24 event — I knew I wanted to have a picnic (before it gets too hot of course). I knew that a picnic would be a great way to kick off our summer — good food & good company! I knew that I wanted a simple, portable, no-fuss menu for our Memorial Day weekend Picnic Party and this is what I came up with:
Strawberry Lemonade Spritzers
Vintage Soda Pop
Spicy BLT Wraps
Ham & Avocado Sandwiches
Mustard Vinaigrette Potato Salad
Fresh Fruit Salad
Want to plan a picnic yourself? Here are some useful planning and packaging tips and tricks:
- Keep it simple — consider simple, easy, convenient foods. You don’t want to spend a lot of time preparing/setting up
- Be organized — using checklists helps ensure nothing gets left behind. Make a packing checklist (I’ve provided a guide below) and a food checklist for the fridge so you don’t run off forgetting the chips or something
- Avoid dairy & mayonnaise-based foods whenever possible, as they go bad quickly
- Food should not sit out at room temperature for more than 2-hours due to harmful bacteria growth so unless you’ll be getting home immediately, throw your leftovers away.
- Precut as much as possible in advance into serving sizes, such as brownies,etc.
- Freeze drinks when possible. They’ll stay cool longer and can be used to help keep food cold (if stored in some cooler/container).
- If possible, pack cold food in a cooler separate from the drinks, as the drink cooler will be opened frequently
- Hot/warm foods can be transported using thermoses
- Soft blanket(s)
- Tarp to put beneath your blanket in case of wet grass — we learned that one the hard way!
- Tablecloth (if utilizing picnic tables)
- Unbreakable plates, flatware, serveware, cups, napkins/wet wipes
- Sun screen, insect repellants
- Corkscrew and/or bottle opener
- Cutting board/paring knife
- Trash bag(s)
The food was delicious and we had a great time relaxing and hanging out with friends! We can’t wait to do it again in the fall! The recipes for a lot of the menu items will be popping up on the blog over the next few weeks but I couldn’t post without leaving you with at least one recipe; this Strawberry Lemonade Spritzer is a perfect refreshing summer beverage!
Thanks Foodbuzz for sponsoring another great event and Happy Memorial Day!
Strawberry Lemonade Spritzer
3 cups strawberries, hulled & roughly chopped
2 Tbsp sugar
8 cups prepared lemonade
In a small food processor, combine strawberries & sugar. Puree until smooth. Strain if desired (I don’t mind the chunkiness). Combine strawberry puree & lemonade and refrigerate at least one hour. Just prior to serving combine lemonade & club soda (I prefer a ratio of 2 parts lemonade to 1 part club soda).