Post image for Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

June 15, 2010 Print This Post Print This Post

I recently took a quickie poll on Facebook to see what kind of ice cream y’all would most be interested in me making and Chocolate Peanut Butter won out, followed by Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream. That recipe/post will come another day. For now, lets talk chocolate peanut buttery goodness.

I love chocolate. Love, love, love. But I’ve never been a huge peanut butter fan until recently. I’m actually still not a huge peanut butter fan but the Chocolate Peanut Butter combo has grown on me in recent years.I’ve particular become very fond of Reese’s pieces straight from the fridge — nice and icy cold. Yum. I was pretty surprised that I liked this ice cream as much as I did. It was much more peanut buttery than I expected but it was fabulous. This is made for you peanut butter lovers.

Want to amp up this ice cream?? Make sundaes by topping it off with marshmallow fluff & graham cracker crumbs. Its absolutely delish!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Yields about 1 quart

2 cups half and half
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

In a large pan, whisk to combine the half and half, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.  Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil.  You’ll know you’re there when the mixture starts to foam up.  Remove the pan from the heat and add the peanut butter, whisking to blend thoroughly.

Refrigerate the mixture to chill thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Source: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

Erin June 15, 2010 at 9:54 pm

This is one of my favorites! I made it again recently and was reminded of how good it is. It’s especially delicious if add in the peanut butter patties from the back of the book :)

Memoria June 16, 2010 at 8:18 am

I like that you don’t have to make an egg custard for this ice cream. It looks yummy!

Tracey June 16, 2010 at 8:51 am

This is definitely one of the favorites at our house :) Yours looks awesome! Love Erin’s idea to add the peanut butter patties though if you’re not huge on peanut butter I’m guessing it wouldn’t excite you as much.

ashley June 16, 2010 at 8:54 am

hehe yea the patties aren’t too exciting to me :-) I’ll stick with my marshmallow fluff & graham cracker crumb combo! hehe.

Jade June 16, 2010 at 9:37 am

Chocolate and peanut butter are my favorite. I have ot make this!!

Marly June 16, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I love ice cream. We don’t eat it a lot because we’re vegan, but this recipe looks like I could veganize it. Why not? I’m going to give it a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sophia June 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

This looks so rich and delicious! Summer really is all about ice cream!! I’m planning on making some sorbet weekend. The past weekend was so crummy! Since I have some fresh watermelon, I might try Summertime Delight Watermelon Sorbet. Or if I’m in the mood for chocolate, maybe I’ll try that! Thanks for sharing!

Dawn Hutchins June 21, 2010 at 8:30 am

Wow…yes peanut butter is one of my most favorite things on the planet. The problem is that my willpower goes out the window when I get near the stuff. YUM.