I’ve been bad lately in terms of my eating habits. I’ve been eating everything in sight and not particularly in moderation. Ice cream? Scones? Cookies? Yes please! Have you noticed?? Lots of baking recipes lately! With all the guilt that’s come along with all that bad eating… I decided to make something healthy! Cookies! ha! Ok, I decided to bake something to make me feel a little less guilty. Wheat flour? Check. Fruit? Check. Equation for healthy right?
These are great cookies! Half scone/half cookie, buttery but not too sweet with a bit of peachy goodness. Summer perfection! And if you’re not sick of peaches already, stay tuned cause there are even more peach recipes coming your way! But for today, I’m gonna take a moment to participate in a little Getting to Know You exercise. Branny recently tagged me recently and I decided to actually participate! I spend a lot of time talking about food and food related things and not that much time talking about myself so here are some tidbits for you:
1. What was on your To-Do list today? Since I’m actually writing this post Tuesday night, I’ll tell you what’s on my to do list for tomorrow: Buy frames for new office prints, Order photo mats for new prints, Laundry, Bible Study.
2. Five Snacks you enjoy: (1) Goldfish, (2) Strawberries with Vanilla Sugar, (3) Butter Popcorn, (4) Chocolate anything, (5) Chips & Salsa.
3. Five Places you have lived: (1) My parents’ home in Austin, Texas (2) College Dorms at Texas A&M University (3) My first apartment living alone in Austin, Texas (4) Singapore, kinda. I was there for 9 months but that was broken up among 4 trips but we had an apartment (5) Our first home!
4. What were you doing 5 years ago: I was graduating from college (WHOOP!), starting my first job, moving into an apartment by myself (first time living alone), getting a proposal from my wonderful sweetheart and starting wedding planning (which was a whirlwind since we got engaged Sept 17 and got married Jan 6! Not much time to plan!)
5. Five things you would do if you were a billionaire: (1) Travel. A lot. (2) Build my dream house complete with my fabulous gourmet kitchen (3) Give to charity/Start a non-profit (4) Take care of friends/family (5) Have a big family.
I’d love to know a little more about you, my wonderful loyal reader, take a stab at a question or two or all of them if you’re ambitious!
Wheat Peach Shortcake Cookies
2 cups pitted & roughly chopped, ripe peaches
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup half-and-half
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Toss the peaches with 1 tablespoons of sugar and set aside.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it between your fingers (or mix with a pastry blender) until it looks like coarse crumbs. Gently stir in the half-and-half, followed by the peaches.
Scoop up about 2 tablespoons of dough and drop onto prepared baking sheet(s). Repeat with remaining dough, spacing the cookies about 2″ apart. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until beginning to brown on the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Best served immediately, but can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 day.