Post image for Mock Champagne

Mock Champagne

February 2, 2011 Print This Post Print This Post

Pregnancy is an incredibly exciting time! Annie of Annie’s Eats is expecting her second child, a little girl. Courtney of Cook Like a Champion initiated a virtual baby shower for Annie, and a bunch of us have prepared recipes to “bring” to the virtual baby shower. I took advantage of the chance to try out some new beverage recipes. During my first trimester, I lived off lemonade but I am beyond tired of lemonade. Most beverages are too sweet for me these days so I’ve been struggling finding something I actually enjoy drinking!

Since this is a baby shower (and I am pregnant), I needed to find a good non-alcoholic beverage ;-) But babies and showers in general are a great time of celebration so champagne based drinks kept coming to mind. Then I stumbled across this recipe for Mock Champagne. Perfection! Its really not too champagne-ish in my opinion, the juices make it too sweet to resemble champagne, but it is tasty! I drank far too much of it ;-)

I’ve included instructions in the recipe for making ice cubs/ice ring to help keep the Mock Champagne cooled during a party, but I don’t put ice in my real Champagne, so opted not to for this recipe too. :-) But if it were actually going to be sitting out for a few hours in a non-virtual baby shower, I’d recommend following the additional step to keep the mock champagne chilled (although I drank some at room temperature as well and it tasted fine).

To see what everyone brought to Annie’s Shower, pop over to Annie’s Eats or Cook Like a Champion to see the full round-up and recipes! Its a delicious spread! Congrats Annie!

Mock Champagne
Yields: 20 8 oz. servings

2 (2 liter) bottles ginger ale, chilled
1 (46 fluid ounce) can pineapple juice, chilled
1 (64 fluid ounce) bottle white grape juice, chilled
fresh fruit for garnish, if desired

Optional: If you’d like ice to keep the Mock Champagne chilled longer during a party, freeze 1 liter of ginger ale in ice cube trays. Add fresh fruit/flowers if desired.

Combine all ingredients in large punch bowl, including ice (if using).

Source: Adapted from Allrecipes

Jessica February 2, 2011 at 4:35 am

This looks great Ashley! I have a baby shower at the end of the month and this would be the perfect addition to our menu! :-)

Courtney February 2, 2011 at 8:51 am

This looks so delicious and perfect for any type of shower! I love drinks like this and always end up drinking way too much of them at showers and parties. I can’t wait to give this one a try. Thanks again for participating in the virtual shower! :)

Shanon February 2, 2011 at 9:38 am

Ashley-

I always am looking for a type of drink like this for baby/wedding showers. I love pineapple and grape juice, AND ginger ale! I am bookmarking this for sure to share.

Shanon :)

elly February 2, 2011 at 9:57 am

This looks great, Ashley! I’m actually not a huge champagne drinker, and I think I like this even better, mocktail or not. :)

Lauren February 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

This looks SO GOOD. I am saving it for my next brunch! I had a blast doing this shower with you. :)

Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) February 2, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’m a sucker for these kind of drinks! Looks wonderful!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) February 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Mmm, this looks so refreshing and yummy! What a perfect treat for a baby shower! This was SO much fun and I’m thrilled to be a part of it! :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

What a great cocktail, er, mocktail! Wonderful flavors, and what a sweet thing to make for Annie’s shower. You have a beautiful blog, and Iā€™m so glad to have found it. Keep up the delicious cooking and baking! :) ā€“ Georgia

Josie February 2, 2011 at 8:28 pm

mmm this looks so refreshing!

Dana February 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm

This sounds tasty! Happy baby shower!

naila February 3, 2011 at 2:35 am

hi Ashley,

Im a new fan of urs. Im ferociously hunting for a YYYYum choclate cake and in http://whippedtheblog.com/2009/01/20/my-1-recipe-luscious-moist-carrot-cake/ i read that ul be sharing your fabulous chocolate cake recipe with us. Have u already posted it. If yes under what post.

The carrot cake looks nice too and am gona try it. BUT after the chocolate one.

Thanx

ashley February 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I haven’t posted that family recipe yet. I will eventually but I don’t like chocolate right now… very very odd side effect of pregnancy ;-) so it won’t be til later this year :-) Sorry!

Michelle February 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I am pregnant too and was so excited to find this. Thanks so much!!